BECAUSE CLEAR SKIES ALWAYS FOLLOW!
I get that it’s probably very normal to feel anxiety during uncertain times, and I’d be lying if I said that I haven’t ever dealt with anxiety before. Overall, I’ve felt pretty good through most of this. However, when the anxiety hits recently, it’s been WAY worse than normal. This week I told my therapist about the anxiety I’ve been experiencing lately & she gave me some good advice that I thought might be helpful for others too. Here’s some tips she gave me:
1. What is the worst that could happen? Even if your anxiety is about something unrealistic- what’s the worst thing that could happen if what you’re thinking about is true? It’s usually not that bad.
2. Physically write/type out the exact thoughts that are playing in your head.
3. Tell someone you trust what you’re thinking or having anxiety about. You may feel stupid saying them out loud, but it will register in your head as unrealistic if it is.
4. Keep yourself busy. Your tendency will be to just “shut down”, but if you stay busy doing things, it will help slow down the anxious thoughts you’re having.
5. Get creative or work on a project. It will make you feel accomplishment & will force your mind to focus on other things.
By no means do I have this stuff figured out. In full transparency, I’ve been more anxious lately than I have in awhile. I was reminding myself of these things for myself & thought they might be helpful to someone else. If you’re feeling anxious, you’re not alone, you’re not crazy, and you will get through this.